There is a strong correlation between the presentation of knowledge and its retention. A quick look at the following statistics will reveal how videos are going to massively impact the future of learning.
- Approximately 90% of all colleges and universities have a YouTube presence.
- All major e-learning websites including Coursera and Edx offer their courses in video form. Estimates suggest that 77% of colleges offer courses online.
- Besides education, videos are used heavily by organizations for internal staff training.
- Research by MWP Digital Media indicates that if top company executives have a choice between a video and text on a given topic, 59% would go with the video.
These stats only reveal a tiny fraction of the potential that exists in using animated videos for learning.
Why Are Animated Videos More Effective for Learning?
A quick overview of the reasons why videos are more effective in impacting learning and training.
1. Delivery of Consistent Experience to all Learners
There are certain corporate training or educational courses that need to be taught in a specific sequence or order. As a business organization grows, maintaining the same training experience can become challenging. Similarly, if a business organization wants to teach their newly hired employees how to maintain a franchise in different parts of the world and follow the company’s training methods, a video can ensure that their experience remains the same.
2. Animated Videos Can Help Train Internal and External Audiences
A video is equally efficient in delivering the learning material to internal and external audiences. Imagine your company works on a product or delivers a service that needs training for the customers. It may not be physically possible for your staff to reach every customer. Thus, you need to find a way to train your customers too.
3. Animated Videos Cater to On-Demand Training Requirements
A trainer may not always be available to coach all the trainees. They may have a training schedule overlap, making it impossible for them to impart training to everyone. Organizations have limited time and resources that cost them dearly. They want to ensure that all new trainees get the training they need. Use of training videos can definitely help a trainer share a recorded video session to help them be present at more than one place without affecting the quality of training.
4. Videos for Training Significantly Reduce Costs
Big companies like IBM and Microsoft understand there are many costs of training, including traveling, lodging, and booking a location. A statistic shared by IBM suggests that it saved $579 million in training costs in just two years by shifting 50% of its training to eLearning. Microsoft also uses its internal video portal, which has reduced the cost of training employees from $320 per hour to just $17 per hour.
5. Use of Videos Leads to Significant Improvement in Quality of Training
Text is boring, difficult to retain, and often laborious. There is no fun reading long training manuals, which are hard to retain. Most of what we learn via text most likely leave our brains within a few hours. A video has a much higher retention rate, which can reach up to 68%. Retention of knowledge is the key to the success of a trainer. Thus, organizations that use animated video training can expect much better results compared to the ones that rely solely on text.
VerveVideos.com creates audience-centric animated explainer videos. Some of the organizations we collaborated with include the City of Mississauga, Hershey’s Kisses, and Entrepreneur.com. Are you ready to discuss your next animated explainer video project? We’d love to hear from you! Call us at +1-647-948-9393 or drop an email email@example.com.